Financial aid & band funding

Whether you are studying full time or part time, as an Indigenous student, you can get help paying for school through band funding as well as, scholarships, awards and bursaries. Indigenous Student Services is here to help guide you through the process of applying for band funding and financial aid.

Financial aid 

Ƶ Financial Aid

Whether you are a full- or part-time student, you may be eligible for the following awards, bursaries and scholarships, administered through the Ƶ Financial Aid Office: 




  • BC Hydro Scholarship (see General Scholarships)  
  • Ricoh Canada Inc. Scholarship (see Applied Community Studies scholarships) 

For information on deadlines and how to apply to any of the above, visit Financial Aid FAQs. For a comprehensive list of all scholarships, bursaries and awards, or to find out about student loans and grants, see Financial Aid

External Financial Aid

In addition to Ƶ-administered awards, you may be eligible for external awards. These are administered through individual donors, so you'll need to apply according to each organization's instructions. For an extensive list of scholarships, bursaries and awards for Indigenous students, see the following resources: 


You may also qualify for financial support from the through Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada.  

For more information, contact Indigenous Student Services or Student Success Advisors.  

First Nations band funding 

Submit your band application to your Nation in early Spring for the following Fall and/or Winter Semester. Questions about sponsorship funding should be directed to the band. Indigenous Student Services can help you to navigate the process.

Aboriginal Community Career Employment Services Society (ACCESS) 

If you cannot get sponsorship through your band, or if you identify as Métis, for alternative funding options.

Tuition and living allowances 

The BC Association of Aboriginal Friendship Centres supports Indigenous status First Nations and Inuit people with tuition and living allowances. See the application and eligibility criteria .  

Financial aid for former youth in care 

Former youth in care may be eligible for the provincial tuition waiver program and other financial supports. Contact the Student Support Navigator for more information.