Travelling to Canada

International students: Travel requirements

Effective October 1, 2022, travellers (unless otherwise stated) will no longer have to:

  • submit public health information through the ArriveCAN app or website;
    • if you’re flying into Toronto Pearson, Vancouver or Montréal-Trudeau international airports, you can still use ArriveCAN to complete your  to save time upon arrival
  • provide proof of vaccination;
  • undergo pre- or on-arrival testing;
  • carry out COVID-19-related quarantine or isolation;
  • quarantine after you enter Canada is not required.

If you have , you shouldn't travel to Canada. For more information, please .

You are still required to present  showing that you are eligible to enter Canada.

Travel Eligibility Requirements:

  • To be able to enter Canada as a student: 
  1. You must have a valid study permit or a letter of introduction that shows you were approved for a study permit;
  2. You must have a ;
  3. You have completed an  if required and the results are still valid.
  • International students may be able to enter Canada prior to the start of their program provided they meet all entry requirements and the time between their arrival and the start of their program of study is considered reasonable as determined by a CBSA official at the port of entry. 
  • The ultimate authority allowing students into the country rests with the Canadian Border Services Agency.

Resources for Students

  • IRCC International students
  • CBSA International students


  1. Confirm you have a study permit approval (aka Letter of Introduction) or valid study permit. Note: Approval in Principle or AIP does not permit students to travel. 
  2. Book your flight to Vancouver.
  3. if you’re flying into Toronto Pearson, Vancouver or Montréal-Trudeau international airports, you can still use to complete your  to save time upon arrival.

Students should bring the following documents while travelling to enter Canada:

  • Letter of Acceptance from the College (for new students)
  • Verification of Enrollment (VOE) from the College
  • A Valid Passport
  • Valid Temporary Resident Visa or eTA
  • Valid Study Permit or study permit approval (Note: Approval in Principal or AIP does not allow students to travel)
  • Proof that you have enough money to support yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada

To print a VOE online:

  1. Log-in to your 
  2. Select “Student Records”
  3. Select “View/Print Documents & Letters”
  4. Select the Verification of Enrolment document type (with or without fees)
  5. Select a term
  6. Click “continue”
  7. On the window toolbar select “file” and then “print”

Please carefully time your arrival in Canada. We recommend students arrive no earlier than 4 weeks before the start of class. When booking your flight to Canada, make sure you book a flights with the least amount of connections. Direct to Vancouver is ideal.

If you book a transit flight that has connections in other countries, please make sure that you are eligible to enter the transit country (e.g. valid entry visa).

All students should have a valid medical insurance plan before your date of Travel. New DCI students will be enrolled in  for 90 days starting from the first day of class during the waiting period for MSP. If you arrive before the first day of class, you may purchase additional coverage directly through Guard.Me. Upon arrival in BC you must apply for .

Returning students, please make sure your MSP coverage is active and valid.

See also our Medical Insurance page for more information.

Congratulations! You made it!

Here are a few things to add to your to do list after your arrival:

If you wish to meet the DCI team, feel free to drop by the international office at the New Westminster Campus, room S2800. We can't wait to meet you!