College lingo

College and university traditions go back a long way. Those traditions include quite a few strange words!

Learn the lingo: apply vs. register

You apply for entry into Ƶ.

Once your application is complete and you have been accepted into the College, you can register for specific courses.


Learn the lingo: open vs. limited programs

There are two types of programs at Ƶ:

Open enrolment (or open admission) programs

Open Enrolment programs include General Studies, Sciences, and most University Transfer programs. Think "smorgasbord". You can pick and choose from a huge list of courses in History, Geography, Biology, English and more. Enrolment is "open", because there is no limit on the number of open enrolment students that the College can accept.

Limited enrolment (or limited admission) programs

Limited Enrolment programs are the career-focused programs such as Nursing, Youth Justice, and Veterinary Technology. Think "set menu". You join a group of students who all take the same mandatory courses together. Usually there are some elective courses as well. Enrolment is "limited" because there is a limit to the number of students accepted into the program, and so entry can be competitive.


Learn the lingo: credit vs. Continuing Education courses

Credit courses

You are considered a "Credit Course Student" if your courses have credit points assigned to them, and are part of a credential (such as a Diploma, Associate Degree, Bachelors Degree or Citation).

Credits differ depending on the level and type of course you are taking. A first year course may be worth 3 credits, and you may need a total of 30 credits in order to gain your credential.

E.g. Accounting Credentials

  • Accounting Certificate (30 credits)
  • Accounting Management Diploma (60 credits)
  • Bachelor of Business Administration - Accounting Major (121.5 credits)

Continuing Education courses

Continuing Education courses are non-credit courses, aimed at personal or professional development. The Department of Continuing Education at Ƶ offers a variety of flexible adult learning options, whether your goal is professional upgrading and career development, exploring a topic of interest or starting a new career. You can enrol in individual courses and seminars, or complete a part-time certificate. For more information visit Continuing Education online.


Learn the lingo: full-time vs. part-time

Full-time students

Ƶ considers domestic students registered for at least 12 credits to be "full-time" students. For definitions for international students, visit the International Students page. Note: for T2202 tax purposes the CRA considers 9 credits to be full-time.

Part-time students

Domestic students who register for fewer than 12 credits per semester are considered "part-time" students, except for international students, where 9 credits are considered full-time studies.

Part-time study allows students to reach their educational goals, even if they are busy with work, family or other responsibilities. Part-time students take 1-3 courses per semester (full-time students take 4-5 courses be semester), and can choose afternoon or evening classes to fit their schedules. For more information visit the Part-Time Studies page.